Revistes Catalanes amb Accés Obert (RACO)

Els Sismògrafs de l'Observatoria de Cartuja (Granada) : recuperació del «Macrosismògraf Cartuja»

Josep Batlló Ortiz, Carme Clemente Delgado, Francisco Pérez-Blanco, José Morales

Resum


The Cartuja observatory, in Granada, was founded by the Society of Jesus
in 1902. Soon it was widespread known for its research in seismology. Special attention
should be drawn to the different seismographs designed and built at the centre.
This task spread for forty years and more than twenty different models arose from its
workshop. They covered all faces of seismic recording: from big earthquakes to ambient
noise and industrial vibrations and even pedagogical instruments. Cartuja observatory
was the most important institute in Spain dealing with seismograph design
and one of the leading centres in Europe. Its designs spread to different seismic observatories
in Central and South America and to Italy. Almost all the instruments designed
and built at the centre have been lost. But, recently, what is remaining of the last
built seismograph in year 1949, the «Cartuja macroseismograph», was found. This
instrument has been restored at the restoration workshop of the Tortosa School of Art
and Design. Priority in the restoration has been given to didactical insight and some
parts of the instrument have been built a new to allow a good understanding of how it was operated. Present work analyzes the importance of the seismographs built at the Cartuja Observatory,
its influence in the development of the instrumental seismology and shows the results of the restoration of the
«Cartuja macroseimograph».

Text complet: PDF